Monday, February 25, 2013

first trimester at a glance




I can finally say the first trimester is O-V-E-R and I couldn't be happier!! Being pregnant was much more of an adjustment than I expected it to be. I mean who knew caring a child would be this hard?!?!?
So here is a little overview of the past 3 months...

Weekend of December 8th: Baby was conceived at some point this weekend (Shout out to the open bar at James' Christmas party. It might or might not have played a part in this baby ;))

December 19, 2012: I had a dentist appointment that day and just had a little hunch that I might be pregnant so I decided to take a test to be sure before I let them do X-rays at the dentist. And to my surprise it had a very faint second line. I almost lost it. I just kept looking at James and saying OMG there is a second line!! I thought I was seeing things! So I went to the dentist and told them and they decided that even though they normally do X-rays on pregnant women they wouldn't because they could see how nervous it made me! It was such a great day. I also went in to my doctor and got blood work taken to confirm pregnancy. Later that day they called with some pretty scary news... My levels were in the range they should be but on the low end, I needed to go back in two days to retest and make sure everything was okay. But unfortunately it was right before Christmas and they would be closed so I was going to have to wait almost a week. I was terrified. James and I ultimately decided the news was too good not to share and told our immediate family over the holidays. We knew we could't spend time with them and not say anything. It was a great feeling to tell everyone and let them share in our excitement. I spent the next five days taking a test every morning. I knew I was definitely pregnant but loved seeing that little pink line get darker every day.

December 26, 2012: I went back for the second round of blood work early in the morning and then we decided instead of sitting at home and waiting for the call we would go out. We went to lunch with my in-laws and during lunch the doctor called! I was shaking I was so nervous but in the same sense I was confident everything would be okay. She called and said that everything was great, my levels were much higher and she made our first appointment for January 23.
Over the next few weeks I started feeling "pregnant". First it was just being tired and then all of a sudden the nausea was there and making itself right at home in my poor body. I was pretty miserable most of the day and wasn't quite sure how to handle my feelings. I ended up switching my prenatal vitamins and started taking them at night and it became a bit more bearable.

January 23, 2013: This was the day of our first appointment. I had no clue what to expect and honestly was kind of disappointed with how it went. I think some people forget that we are new parents and are so nervous and scared. I literally almost walked out with my own pee!! The doctor was nice but I was just not that impressed with her staff. Since our appointment was so late they scheduled an ultra sound for the next day to make sure we were as far along as we thought.

January 24, 2013: Our first ultrasound was absolutely amazing! When they first put the little wand on my stomach I immediately saw the baby. It was much smaller than I expected and we also thought we would immediately here a heartbeat so James grabbed my hand and squeezed. We were both so scared and later admitted we were both freaking out on the inside but trying to stay calm. And then out of nowhere she pressed that button and the most beautiful sound in the world filled the room. I breathed the biggest sigh of relief and James jumped up and kissed me. It was the best moment ever and something I will never forget. She told us we were a few days behind what we thought but it wasn't a big deal and it wouldn't even change our due date. Everything looked great and she printed a couple pictures for us and sent us on our way! We went out for dinner and could't stop smiling. The waitress even saw us looking at the pictures and congratulated us.

February 14, 2013: We have finally announced to the world that we are expecting. I was really nervous to tell everyone but the hubby was dying to just scream it from the rooftops so we just did it. It was so nice to have so many people support us and congratulate us on the great news.

Overall the first trimester was not horrible. I hear some women say that they throw up every day and can barely get out of bed so I feel blessed that it was bearable. I only threw up once and I think it was because it was the day we went on a field trip and I had ridden a school bus. I have learned to just be happy that I am getting this amazing experience. So many women would kill to be in my shoes and I am so grateful for this opportunity. Being a mother has been my number one goal in life as long as I can remember. I mean when people used to ask what I wanted to be when I grew up I would say a mom. I am so lucky to be finally getting the opportunity. But it would be nice to not have this nausea anymore!
13 weeks
We are so excited to see what the second trimester brings!! We have so much to look forward to and I can't wait!!!!

post signature

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...